Sunday, March 22, 2009

Flyaway

I am reading the most wonderful book. About a month ago I had an email from a wildlife rehabilitator in New York. She had found my name in the NWRA member directory. I don't know how she chose the people she contacted, but I am so happy she chose me. She has written a book and it was released earlier this month. It is titled "Flyaway: How a Wild Bird Rehabber Sought Adventure and Found Her Wings." Reading this book is like reading about my life. So many things she writes about also happen here. I laugh out loud, I cry and I remember so many of the little wild creatures I have been fortunate enough to help.

It is so wonderful when you meet someone so much like yourself. We have begun an email friendship. How curious it is the way some things happen. I don't know how or why she chose me as one of her contacts but maybe our guardian angels knew we would enjoy each other's email company. Perhaps some day down the road the reason our paths crossed will be made known to both of us. Perhaps one day we will actually get to meet each other.

It is so nice to know that mine is not the only home where you may find various food items (like bugs) meant for the birds in your refrigerator, or the frozen rat (another menu item for the birds) thawing in the pan of warm water, or the gull or grebe or other waterfowl spending time in the bathtub. I frequently find myself just shaking my head and saying, "This is my life."

I would recommend this book to anyone who shares a love of the winged creatures. You will be entertained and may come away with a greater appreciation for them and for those who care for them.